SUNDAY, AUGUST 20
• Sanctuary Worship Guest Speaker: “In the Beginning, God?” Genesis 1:1–2:3 (Services at 8:15, 9:30 & 11:00 am)
• “Scholar, Astronomer, Theologian, Pastor, Scientist, Teacher, Husband and Father: A Question and Answer Time with Dr. David Wilkinson” at 7 pm in the Sanctuary
MONDAY, AUGUST 21
• “How Does God Answer Prayer in the Bible?” at 10 am in the Sanctuary
• “What Kind of God Are You Praying To?” at 11:45 am in The Commons. Registration for the lunch is now closed, but all are welcome to come hear Dr. Wilkinson at 12:20 pm in The Commons.
• “The Heavens Declare the Glory of God: Astronomy and the Search for God in Creation” at 7 pm in the Sanctuary
Rev. Dr. David Wilkinson is Principal of St John’s College, Durham University. David is also a Professor in the Department of Theology and Religion. He is one of Methodism’s leading communicators in the dialogue of science and religion, combining academic credibility with presentation skills.
His background is research in theoretical astrophysics, where he gained a PhD in the study of star formation, the chemical evolution of galaxies and terrestrial mass extinctions. He is a Fellow of the Royal Astronomical Society. Following his research David trained for the Methodist ministry, serving in a variety of appointments. His current work at Durham University involves the relationship of the Christian faith to contemporary culture, from science to pop-culture. He also holds a PhD in Systematic Theology where he explored the future of the physical universe.
His recent books include: When I Pray, What does God Do?; Christian Eschatology and the Physical Universe; and Science, Religion and the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence. He has also written the best-selling God, Time and Stephen Hawking and also books that range from holiness to the spirituality of Star Wars.
David is an ordained minister in the British Methodist Church, and a regular contributor to Thought for the Day, on BBC Radio. He is married to Rev. Alison Wilkinson who is also an ordained British Methodist pastor. Their adult children are Adam (21) and Hannah (19).
(Dr. Wilkinson will be available to sign books following all events in the Sanctuary Reception Area. Merchandise and books will be available for purchase.)